Monday, February 7, 2011

Maybe misery is what I need to keep my sanity...

As winter came to lengthen days, I traveled down the road,
And found again my firefly friend, sleeping in the snow.
I met him down among the grass just eight months ago,
And what he taught me on that night, many will never know.

So as I stopped and watched him sleep, for no more than a moment,
I called to mind how we came to meet, and our time was spent.
He feared of judgment for a crime which he did not commit,
And I a sinner, worthy of such, to which I must admit.

He looked the same as he had ever been, comely, bright, and true.
 Instinctively, this comforted me for all I had been through.
When I dipped down to his plain, deep beneath the snow,
That small insect whom I respect, quietly arose.

“Hello good friend, and good morning! How nice to see you here!
It has been far too long, it seems, since we were near.
My lily is dry, and no more do I drink, but I shall never fear.
For God provides to each his own, even in this new year!
How have you been and what have you learned in these passing months?
What are the words, and whom are the souls in which you’ve placed your trust?
Are your lips trimmed up for song, and your shoes filled with dust?
Tell me now, how have you changed? I do implore, I must!”

Balefully, I drew in breath and waited to reply.
Quietly, my answer came forth in a great sigh.
The insect frowned with his round eyes, and looked so close at me,
With both wings folded and tail alight he awaited my story.

Reluctant to answer, I stalled for time, searching the cold ground,
Looking for some esoteric distraction that might chance to sound.
My tale, though not a shameful one or sorrowful in nature,
Had no ending of which to tell, and so I was unsure.

It wasn’t until his eyes traced my face and read it like a scroll,
That I knew, to whom I spoke, was a patience soul.
And so I began my interesting tale, of the past year,
Of ups and downs, the run around, and how I was right there.

“I have learned a lot this year, of what couldn’t be,
I have met many people, and traversed their time in good company.
I have discovered introspect is the greatest of self harms,
I tell you my dearest friend, third time’s not always a charm.
I, like Gawain, have accepted the green, and not for love of life.
That girdle given in such love, could never have been right!
For such a quest, is just a test given by such a knight,
Who cares for sport, despises truth, and tries to twist the Light.
Yes my friend, I’m older now, and I have seen more,
If nothing else, I’ve told myself, I’m wiser than before.
Though not much further from the past, I cannot see the end.
I’ve learned to love much deeper now, and still won’t follow trends.”

At these words, my confidant’s tail lit up like the breaking dawn.
Into the air he leapt with pride casting all his sheets aside.
Floating back and through the breeze, he brought my soul to ease,
For as he spoke of what he knew, all my certainty certainly grew.

“Beware of what you think you know! Only time will ever show
What we’ve done inside ourselves, or if two souls can ever meld.
Your observations are correct, but paths through life are never set
I urge you to continue on, your time will come, it won’t be long.
Resist the sinful lure of self, which will persist until your death
Spread your love both far and near, and always make sure it’s sincere.
Always search the deepening Word, and worship the glorious LORD.
Surrender your whole heart to His time, and I’m sure you’ll be alright.”

Then he smiled and flew away faster than the spring,
Leaving me with a goodbye, as I stood wondering.
I wondered what I’d say to him the next time we would meet,
and if our conversation would bring comfort bittersweet

And so as I, the student, travel down the road,
I always look for small creatures sleeping in the snow.
I remember him from time to time, with memory fain.
And thank my stars and Lord above, for his words again.


http://songwriterchild.blogspot.com/2010/05/starin-down-stars-jealous-of-moon.html

"I get so distracted by some people's reactions that I don't see my own faults for what they are. At times it's so self destructive, with no intent or motive, but behind this emotion, there lies a sensible heart..."

No comments:

Post a Comment